Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My response to the seemingly huge packet of stories that actually didn't take long to read at all

Almost everyone is responding to the same thing: eggs. So I think I'll skip that one.

Maurice Sendak recalls an important memory in her life that includes books, sibling love, and jumping out of a fourteenth story window. Out of all the short stories that I read, this one struck out to me the most. It intrigued me and made me laugh as I was reading it. In reading the first sentence, you never would have guessed that the story would end the way it did.

In the first paragraph, I love how she made a simple memory of her grandma pulling the window shade up and down into a picture book. At this point it was apparent that this child would grow up to be a writer. With an imagination like that, how could she not? As a child, if that same thing happened to me, I would have been like "Oh hey, grandma's pulling the window shade up and down. whoopee!" I definitely would not have compared it to turning the pages of a picture book.

The story that the author and her brother wrote together is so deep and passionate, yet so innocent at the same time. It shows how naive kids really are, and how they truly do not understand the world around them. How were they to know that siblings don't marry siblings? My favorite part of the story was probably the end of it "...they cry out in unison, 'We are inseprable' andleap from the fourteenth floor of the Brooklyn Jewish Hospital-SPLAT!" For one thing, you would never have imagined this coming out of a seven year old. Secondly, it was just hilarious. Not because they died in the end, but because they made it so intense for a something written by children.

I also noticed in the whole short essay/story, she did not focus on one specific thing. Yes, the whole thing was about "writing in general", but she jumps from topic to topic. She starts out talking about the window scene, and then The Prince and the Pauper, and then the story, and then ends with how she ended up becoming a writer. Even though she talked about all these things in less than a page and a half, it all seemed to flow and become a pleasurable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment