Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Sparkly rainbows and unicorns

Goody-goody. Or goodie-goodie? I'm not sure how to spell it. The more I look at it, the more wrong they both seem. But you know what I mean.

One of my friends just recently called me a goody-two-shoes. It was somewhat jokingly, but still with a hint of honesty. Um I don't know whether to take that as an insult or not. 

 This came about because I didn't want to ditch school with her. It got me thinking, am I playing it too safe sometimes? Well, obviously going to school is not necessarily considered "playing it safe", but sometimes I feel like I should take more risks in general.

I am not a goody-goody; I am a normal teenager. I fight with my parents. I rant about school. I run stop signs (not on purpose). I've made mistakes. I have regrets. When I think of a goody-goody, I think of someone who doesn't break a single rule and whose world just revolves around rainbows, and unicorns, and sparkles, and everyone loving each other (I'm sorry, that's a stereotype).

 Last night, I was hanging out with two of my friends and I was talking to them about how sometimes I just feel like I need to do something differently. Not the let's-get-drunk-and-smoke-pot-and-party-til-dawn type of rebelling, (that is obviously not something I would do) but just something a little bit more outside of  my comfort zone. Like talk to some people who I usually don't talk to. Or get my ears double pierced even though my mom refuses to let me no matter how much I try to persuade her. (That's kind of drastic, I don't know if I would ever do that.) Or sneak out. This is kind of embarrassing to share, because it's so not something that I thought I would do, but I almost did that once. The snow prevented me from actually carrying out that plan because my mom would definitely notice the tire marks and footprints, and I'd be grounded for life.

See? I'm not a goody-goody. But I'm not exactly a rebel either. Probably anyone who knows me well enough will agree.

I don't really carry out any serious rule-breaking activities ever. Which isn't a bad thing. I'm glad that I've never had to deal with alcohol or drugs. I'm content knowing that I haven't broken any laws. I haven't really ever lied to my parents. But sometimes I just feel like I need to do something differently. Something unexpected. Don't read this and get the impression that I'm going to go out and do illegal things. That's not me. I just want to live a little more free.

Hey, that rhymes.

Wow this post took a really weird turn. I can't even find my point anymore, that's a lot of rambling up there. My main point: I need to learn to try new things outside my comfort zone yet still be myself. Even if I end up making a fool of myself or getting grounded, it might be worth it. It might be a chance to learn something new. I know who I am. I know what my morals and values are, and I would never put myself, someone else, or my future in jeopardy.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post! It's cute and honest. I talked about Friday night in my post too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Running stop signs!!! It made my day to read that!

    ReplyDelete